Firstly, I want to apologize in advance for any insensitivity or inaccuracies in this post. I cannot pretend I am as educated as I would like to be, but I am extremely passionate in learning about others and using my privilege for good.
Since the horrific murder of African American, George Floyd on May 25th 2020, rightful outrage has broken out worldwide over the injustice and disgraceful blatant racism that is still going on in 2020. Fifty seven years since Martin Luther King Jr. spoke his, “I Have A Dream” speech during the March On Washington For Jobs And Freedom on August 28th 1963. Fifty one years since Marsha P. Johnson, a Black Trans Woman, Sylvia Rivera, a Latina American Transgender Activist, Raymond Castro, a Latino gay man, Miss Major Griffin – Gracy, a Black Trans woman and Storm Delaverie, a Mixed Raced lesbian, fought during the Stonewall Riots on June 28th 1969. Which begs the question, why is it half a century later so many Black Lives are being taken mercilessly each day?
With June being the month of PRIDE and as I am hugely passionate about LGBTQ+ Rights, I feel it is important to note that the first riot protesting was led by Black Trans Women and Gay Men. I must mention that Black Trans Women have an average life span of 35 YEARS – just let that sink in for a moment.
We are all the same, we are all human, nobody is born racist. It is so wonderful to have so many colours and cultures within our world and yet a huge number of people are hurting this. Without variety we would not be able to educate one another and learn about each others history.
For the people that are posting about how, “All Lives Matter” I can’t emphasize enough how frustrating this is. No one is saying that white people don’t matter, the injustice is not harming white people, there is no racial prejudice and harm coming to myself because of the colour of my skin. Yes, every single person in the world suffers and has hard times, but BAME are the only ones being persecuted because of their skin. The “Black Lives Matter” movement is bringing awareness to the dangers so many people suffer every single day, living in fear doing the most mundane things that we so often take for granted. It is worth noting that white people will never understand this pain and fear, but we can understand the suffering so many people of colour go through and try and prevent it from continuing. I have started a thread on my Twitter, to share each petition I have signed, hoping that others will take a few minutes to do the same – it is the least we can do.
I’m also going to share each of the petitions in this post, with information about the victims who have suffered such pain. People may have seen the murder of George Floyd and think this is the first of it’s kind and tragically, it is not. Police brutality is extremely real and not only is it happening in the USA, it is happening in the UK too. Inquest, have stated there have been 1741 DEATHS in police custody or otherwise following contact with the police in England and Wales since 1990, with 14% and 183 of them being of BAME . In 2019, mappingpolicebrutality states there were only 27 DAYS IN 2019 where police did not kill someone, 24% of the victims were black, despite being 13% of the population and in 99% of the killings NO ONE HAS BEEN CHARGED.
I simply must take the time to thank the amazing Nico, who runs blacklivesmatters, because of you I have been able to educate myself and sign petitions on incredible people, that I admittedly had no idea existed. Thanks to thehindu website, I have learnt that between 2013 – 2019, 42 PER MILLION populations of African Americans were killed in police shootings – the highest among races, with statistics showing they are THREE TIMES more likely to be murdered than white people. Furthermore, over 17% of African American victims were UNARMED.
Here are a few of the many lives which have been lost and families which have been destroyed. It is important to remember these victims and share their stories. I’m ashamed to say that I had only heard about one of the stories that I am posting, which goes to show how many are ignored, and never spoken about. This is not acceptable, no one deserves such inhumanity and suffering. I am aware that these facts are hard to read and may be triggering to some, which I do apologize for, not because they have to be read, but because they ever happened in the first place. It is our responsibility to educate ourselves and not turn a blind eye to the injustices and tragedies which is happening daily in our world.
SAY THEIR NAMES.
A 17 year old African American teenager, who was fatally shot in Sanford, Florida by George Zimmerman, on February 26th 2012. Trayvon was walking alone to his father’s fiancée’s house from a store and Zimmerman, a member of the community watch, saw Trayvon and reported him to the Sanford Police as suspicious. Several minutes later, there was an altercation and Zimmerman fatally shot Trayvon in the chest. Zimmerman was NOT charged at the time and when he eventually was tried, he was ACQUITTED of second-degree murder and manslaughter.
A 28 year old African American woman, who was found hanged in her jail cell in Waller County, Texas, on July 13th 2015. Sandra had been pulled over for a minor traffic violation, three days earlier by State Trooper Brian Encinia, who ended up arresting her with the charge of assaulting a police officer. Part of the exchange was recorded and after authorities reviewed the footage, Encinia was placed on administrative leave for failing to follow proper traffic stop procedures. However, in December 2015, a grand jury decided AGAINST indicting the country sheriff and jail staff for any misdemeanors regarding Sandra’s tragic death. Encinia was eventually indicted for making false statements about Sandra’s arrest and was fired. However, in June 2017 the perjury charges against him were DROPPED, with the confirmation he would end his law enforcement career.
A 92 year old African American woman, who was killed by undercover police in her home on Neal Street in northwest Atlanta on November 21st 2006. They broke down her door and fired 39 SHOTS at her, with five or six hitting – she fired one, which didn’t harm anyone. The officers were found to have falsified evidence, stating drugs were present in her home, which was the original cause for the raid. Jason R. Smith, Gregg Junnier, and Arthur Tesler were tried for MANSLAUGHTER and sentenced to only 10, 6 and 5 YEARS.
A 23 year old African American man, who was killed the morning before his Wedding, on November 25th 2006. Detective Paul Headley fired one shot, officer Michael Carey fired three times, officer Marc Cooper shot FOUR TIMES, and officer Gescard Isnora shot ELEVEN TIMES and officer Michael Oliver shot 31 TIMES, reloading his gun AT LEAST once. Two of Sean’s friends, JOSEPH GUZMAN and TRENT BENEFIELD were severely wounded but thankfully survived. Isnora and Oliver were charged with first and second degree MANSLAUGHTER, whilst Cooper was charged with RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT. All three were ACQUITTED, only being fired or forced to resign from the force.
A 43 year old African American man, who was killed by New York police officer Daniel Pantaleo, after he was placed in a chokehold whilst being arrested on July 17th 2004. The medical examiners actually RULED HIS DEATH AS A HOMICIDE however, Pantaleo was NOT charged with murder and was only fired on August 19th 2019, MORE THAN FIVE YEARS after Eric’s death.
A 22 year old African American woman, who was killed by an off-duty Chicago police detective, Dante Servin, on March 21st 2012. Rekia’s friend, ANTONIA CROSS was also shot in the hand. Over a year later, in November 2013, Servin was charged with INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER, but was CLEARED OF ALL CHARGES, by Judge Dennis J. Porter on April 20th 2015. Servin resigned two days before his departmental hearing on May 17th 2016, FOUR YEARS after Rekia’s murder.
A 23 year old Guinean immigrant, who was murdered by four New York City plain clothed police officers, Sean Carroll, Richard Murphy, Edward McMellon, and Kenneth Boss, on February 4th 1999. They fired 41 SHOTS, of which 19 HIT AMADOU and were charged only with SECOND DEGREE MURDER – all ended up being ACQUITTED. In 2015, Boss was PROMOTED to sergeant – he had already murdered PATRICK BAILEY, a 22 year old Jamaican born American Citizen on October 31st 1997.
MICHAEL BROWN JR.:
A 18 year old African American man, who was murdered by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson, on August 9th 2014. Michael was UNARMED with his friend, DORIAN JOHNSON and his body was left in the street for FOUR HOURS before he was removed. On August 11th, a Civil Rights Investigation was opened, but on March 4th 2015, CLEARED Wilson of any civil rights violations. He was NOT charged. On November 29th, Wilson resigned from the force, citing security concerns.
KIMANI “KIKI” GRAY:
A 16 year old African American boy, who was murdered by two plain clothed New York City police officers, Mourad Mourad and Jovaniel Cordova, on March 9th 2013. He was shot at ELEVEN TIMES, and was hit by SEVEN of them. Mourad was nominated for, “Cop Of The Year” in 2014, despite being named in THREE FEDERAL LAWSUITS FOR VIOLATING CIVIL RIGHTS along with another shooting in 2011. Both have NOT been charged.
KENNETH CHAMBERLAIN SR.:
A 68 year old African American man, who was murdered by police officer, Anthony Carelli after inadvertently triggering his LifeAid medical alert necklace. The officers broke down his door, even after Kenneth stated he did not need assistance and had asked them to leave. They stayed for one hour trying to force the door open and an officer called Stephen Hart, swore at him and called him horrific racist words. Kenneth was UNARMED, which DNA evidence has proven and was TASERED and shot at TWICE. In 2012 the case was reviewed by a grand jury and the officers were NOT charged.
A 16 year old African American boy, who was murdered by security guards, William Patrick Swofford and Bryan Ansley, in a parking lot on July 16th 2005. Originally, the two men were NOT charged, it wasn’t until FOUR MONTHS later in November, that Swofford was charged with MANSLAUGHTER and both with SHOOTING INTO AN OCCUPIED VEHICLE. The charges later ended up being DISMISSED.
A 12 year old African American boy, who was SHOT TWICE in Cleveland, Ohio by police officer Timothy Loehmann, on November 22nd 2014. He was simply playing with a TOY GUN and ended up dying in hospital the next day. Loehmann was NOT CHARGED and was only fired THREE YEARS LATER in 2017, after it was revealed that he had been labelled an EMOTIONALLY UNSTABLE RECRUIT and UNFIT FOR DUTY in his previous job.
A 7 year old African American girl, who was murdered by police officer, Joseph Weekley, during a house raid, on May 16th 2010. In October 2011, Weekley was charged INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER and RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT WITH A GUN. Weekley ended up having two mistrials and the judge actually DISMISSED the involuntary manslaughter charge in the second one. Five years later, on January 28th 2015, Weekley was CLEARED of his reckless endangerment with a gun charge, meaning the third retrial would not happen.
A 25 year old African American man, who was arrested on April 12th 2015 by lieutenant Brian W. Rice, officer Edward Nero, and officer Garrett E. Miller, after running away from them, whilst they were patrolling. Freddie was subsequently charged with having a knife in his possession, although no harm was caused and the knife was not used. Freddie was then placed in a transport van within 11 minutes of his arrest and half an hour later he was IN A COMA. He died on April 19th, a week after his arrest, with his cause of death being stated as injuries to his spinal cord. The medical examiners ruled his death a HOMICIDE, saying that his injuries had been sustained whilst being transported and that the officers FAILED TO FOLLOW SAFETY PROCEDURES. Six officers were filed with various criminal charges, including MANSLAUGHTER, ILLEGAL ARREST, RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT and SECOND DEGREE “DEPRAVED-HEART” MURDER for officer Caesar R. Goodson Jr., who was driving the van. Each officer was granted a separate trial, Porters resulted in a MISTRIAL, whilst Nero, Rice and Goodson were all ACQUITTED. Any of the various other charges were subsequently DROPPED.
A 40 year old black man, who died following a cardiac arrest whilst in police custody, in South London, England on August 28th 2008. Sean suffered with paranoid schizophrenia and was in a vulnerable mental state, resulting in the hostel staff he lived with calling 999 FIVE TIMES over a period of THREE HOURS. They were informed by operator, Maurice Glove that Sean was NOT A POLICE PRIORITY. Response was eventually made after members of the public had observed Sean acting strangely in the street. Four police officers chased him and he was handcuffed and restrained in a face down position, being LENT ON FOR 8 MINUTES. FOUR YEARS LATER in 2012, Southwalk Coroner’s Court concluded police had used, “UNSUITABLE AND UNNECESSARY FORCE” and their failings, “MORE THAN MINIMALLY” contributed to his death. In March 2013, sergeant Paul White and officer Mark Harratt were arrested on perverting the court of justice, regarding the evidence presented at Sean’s inquest. However, in October 2014, the CPS decided NOT to charge them. Sean’s family did request a Right To Review policy and White was charged with PERJURY – ultimately, he was ACQUITTED in November 2016.
PETITIONS TO SIGN:
Here are some of the petitions I have came across to support, it simply takes a few seconds of your time and every signature helps. Please also take the time to read the victims stories and share, together our voices have power and can hopefully help in moving towards a happier and healthier society.
• MINNEAPOLIS DISTRICT ATTORNEY: RAISE THE DEGREE
• JUSTICE FOR GEORGE FLOYD (1)
• CHARGE MINNEAPOLIS POLICE OFFICERS FOR MURDER OF GEORGE FLOYD (2)
• JUSTICE FOR GEORGE FLOYD (3)
• GET THE OFFICERS CHARGED: JUSTICE FOR GEORGE FLOYD (4)
• SENATOR BLUMENTHAL: GEORGE FLOYD: WE NEED NATIONWIDE POLICE DE-ESCALATION (5)
• JUSTICE FOR BREONNA TAYLOR (1)
• JUSTICE FOR BREONNA TAYLOR (2)
• JUSTICE FOR BREONNA TAYLOR (3)
• JUSTICE FOR BREONNA TAYLOR (4)
• JUSTICE FOR BREONNA TAYLOR (5)
• DISBARMENT OF GEORGE E. BARNHILL
• JUSTICE FOR AHMUAD ARBERY (1)
• DISTRICT ATTORNEY TOM DURDEN: JUSTICE FOR AHMAUD ARBERY (2)
• GOVERNOR BRIAN KEMP: JUSTICE FOR AHMAUD ARBERY (3)
• DEFUND MPD
• MANDATORY LIFE SENTENCE FOR POLICE BRUTALITY
• JUSTICE FOR REGIS KORCHINSKI-PAQUET
• JUSTICE FOR TONY MCDADE (1)
• JUSTICE FOR TONY MCDADE (2)
• JUSTICE FOR TONY MCDADE (3)
• JUSTICE FOR JOAO PEDRO
• SAVE INNOCENT JULIUS JONES FROM DEATH ROW
• JUSTICE FOR BELLY MUJINGA
• GOVERNOR KAY IVEY: FREE WILLIE SIMMONS
• HANDS UP ACT
• NATIONAL ACTION AGAINST POLICE BRUTALITY AND MURDER
• ILLINOIS GOVERNOR: CORRECT WRONGFUL CONVICTION OF KYJUANZI HARRIS
• JUSTICE FOR ALEJANDRO VARGAS MARTINEZ
• CENSORSHIP OF POLICE BRUTALITY IN FRANCE
• JUSTICE FOR SEAN REED
• MAYOR JOE HOGSETT: JUSTICE FOR SEAN REED
• JUSTICE FOR KENDRICK JOHNSON
• JUSTICE FOR TAMIR RICE (1)
• JUSTICE FOR TAMIR RICE (2)
• FIRE RACIST CRIMINAL FROM THE NYPD
• JUSTICE FOR JAMEE JOHNSON
• JUSTICE FOR DARIUS STEWART (1)
• JUSTICE FOR DARIUS STEWART (2)
• ABOLISH PRISON LABOR
• FREE SIYANDA MNGAZA
• JUSTICE FOR CHRYSTUL KIZER (1)
• JUSTICE FOR CHRYSTUL KIZER (2)
• JUSTICE FOR ANDILE “BOBO” MCHUNU
• FREE ERIC RIDDICK
• JUSTICE FOR AMIYA BRAXTON
• JUSTICE FOR EMERALD BLACK
• JUSTICE FOR ELIJAH NICHOLS
• JUSTICE FOR ZINEDINE KARABO GIOIA
• RETRIAL FOR WRONGFUL CONVICTION OF ANGEL BUMPASS
• SCOTLAND POLICE: INVESTIGATE THE DEATH OF SHEKU BAYOH IN POLICE CUSTODY
• JUSTICE FOR JENNIFER JEFFLEY
• FREE ALBERT WILSON
• MADISON SOUTHERN HIGH SCHOOL: JUSTICE FOR MACIE
• JUSTICE FOR AMARI BOONE
• JUSTICE FOR CRYSTAL MASON
• JUSTICE FOR RASHAD CUNNINGHAM
• GOODWOOD MAGISTRATE COURT: JUSTICE FOR TAZNE VAN WYK
• PORTLAND POLICE: JUSTICE FOR TETE GULLEY
• DROP CHARGES ON MARSHAE JONES & CHARGE THE SHOOTER OF HER & HER UNBORN BABY
• TEMPLE POLICE DEPARTMENT: JUSTICE FOR MICHAEL DEAN
• STAND WITH #BLM
• PHOENIX POLICE DEPARTMENT: JUSTICE FOR DION JOHNSON
• FIRE RON FREEMAN
• MANCHESTER POLICE: JUSTICE FOR SHUKRI ABDI
• DISTRICT ATTORNEY JIM WARD: JAIL TIME FOR DYLAN MOTA AND JACOB ROBLES
• NSW POLICE: MANDATE THE POLICE FORCE ACADEMIES TO TAKE RACIAL BIAS TEST
• JUNK THE ANTI-TERRORISM BILL AND UPHOLD HUMAN RIGHTS
• NIGERIA POLICE FORCE: JUSTICE FOR YOUNG UWA
• SCHOOLS MUST SPEAK UP NOW
• SEATTLE POLICE: ARREST JARED CAMPBELL (1)
• TERMINATE JARED CAMPBELL (2)
• POLICE DE-ESCALATION TRAINING
• PARDON CRYSTAL MASON IMPRISONED FOR VOTING.
• JUSTICE FOR CAMERON GREEN
• UNITED NATIONS: BAN THE USE OF INHUMANE RUBBER BULLETS (1)
• UN AND US GOVERNMENT: BAN THE USE OF RUBBER BULLETS (2)
• STOP USING ICE TO POISON IMMIGRANTS
• THE TRAYVON MARTIN LAW – STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING AGAIN
• COOKS COUNTY ILLINOIS POLICE: FREE CHAFFIN DARNEL Y
• SUPPORT FORMER BUFFALOE POLICE OFFICER CARIOL HORNE TO RECEIVE HER PENSION
• IMPROVE WORKING CONDITIONS FOR BLACK PEOPLE IN ITALY
• DEFUND DALLAS POLICE DEPARTMENT AND INVEST IN THE LARGER DALLAS COMMUNITY
• JUSTICE FOR BRITTANY CHRISHAWN WILLIAMS
• RICHMOND CITY COUNCIL & MAYOR STONEY: MARCUS ALERT & CIVILIAN OVERSIGHT OF RPD
• JUSTICE FOR QUENTIN SUTTLES
• SAVE INNOCENT KENNETH REAMS FROM DEATH ROW
• KING COUNTY POLICE OFFICERS GUILD: REQUIRE DASH AND BODY CAMERAS
• DEFUND THE POLICE
• JUSTICE FOR JAMES SCURLOCK (1)
• JUSTICE FOR JAMES SCURLOCK (2)
• CLASSIFY WHITE SUPREMACISTS AS TERRORISTS
• JUSTICE FOR DAVID MCATEE
• NO POLICE PRESENCE AT TACOMA BLM PROTEST
• DEFUND SDPD
• FIRE LAPD CHIEF MICHAEL MOORE
• MAKE WASHINGTON STATE POLICE ACCOUNTABLE FOR POLICE BRUTALITY
• FIRE OFFICER CAMILLE STEPHENSON
• STOP ILLEGAL EXPORT OF RIOTING EQUIPMENT
• JUSTICE FOR SHELLEY FREY
• JUSTICE FOR ASHTON DICKSON
• BAN/RESTRICT TEARGAS
• KNOCK DOWN SLAVE MARKET CENTER
• FREE ANTHONY WITT
• JUSTICE FOR SANDRA BLAND
• PROTECT UK BLACK TRANS WOMEN
• REJECT TRUMP’S VIOLENCE TOWARDS PROTESTORS
• MAKE POLICE BRUTALITY ILLEGAL
• FIRE AUSTIN CHIEF POLICE
• JUSTICE FOR BRAD LEVI
• JUSTICE FOR JONAS JOSEPH
• JUSTICE FOR DOMINIQUE CLAYTON
• JUSTICE FOR ANDERSON ARBOLEDA
• FREE CURTIS PRICE
From reading various sources of information, it is advised to not donate to change.org, as it is a private corporation and none of the funds go towards the organizations or people that have put the petitions together. Of course, continue to sign the petitions, but please take the time to read their FAQ regarding donations.
Here is a list of recommended websites via blacklivesmatters:
• GEORGE FLOYD MEMORIAL FUND
• GEORGE FLOYD’S SISTERS FUND
• GEORGE FLOYD’S DAUGHTERS FUND
• BREONNA TAYLOR FUND
• AHMAUD ARBERY FUND
• REGIS KORCHINSKI FUND
• JAMEE JOHNSON FUND
• DESTINY HARRISON FUNERAL FUND
• ERIC ROSALIA FUND
• BELLY MUJINGA FUND
• DION JOHNSON FUND
• AARON JAMES FUND
• TONY MCDADE FUND
• HEALING FOR DARNELLA
• DESTINY’S DREAM SCHOLARSHIP
• JAMES SCURLOCK FUND
• SUPPORT FOR LESLIE FUND
• TREVER BELLE FUND
• TAMPA BAY COMMUNITY SUPPORT
• BRAD LEVI AYALA FUND
• ALAJUNAYE DAVIS FUND
• SAID JOQUIN FUND
• DAVID MCATEE FUND
• ITALIA KELLEY FUND
* PROTESTORS *
• BALI FUNDS BY STATE
• TAMPA BAY COMMUNITY SUPPORT
• SPLIT DONATION TO 37 BAIL FUNDS
• NATIONAL BAIL FUND NETWORK
• BAIL FUND GOOGLE DOC
• BAIL FUND TWITTER THREAD
• GAS MASK FUND
• UNICORN RIOT FUND
• MESSIAH YOUNG AND TANIYA PILGRIM
• EZEQUIEL VALDERAS BAIL FUND
• BLM FRONTLINE FUND
• FUND PROTESTORS IN THE UK
• SUPPLIES FOR DC PROTESTORS
• VENMO: FEMME EMPOWERMENT PROJECT
* BLACK OWNED BUSINESSES *
* EMW is the ONLY abortion clinic in Kentucky and is 1 OF THE 6 black owned clinics in the country.
• REBUILD SCORES SPORTS BAR FUND
• REBUILD SACDELUX CONSIGNMENT STORE FUND
• HELP TRIO THRIVE
• ATLANTA BLACK OWNED BUSINESS RELIEF
• REBUILD GUNS & ROSES BOUTIQUE FUND
• SOMALI OWNED BUSINESSES
• REBUILD SHOE MOUNTAIN FUND
• REBUILD THE BLOCK FUND
• MINNEAPOLIS BLACK OWNED BUSINESSES
• LONG BEACH BLACK OWNED BUSINESSES
* ORGANIZATIONS *
• Reclaim The Block
• North Star Health Collective
• NAACP Legal Defense Fund
• Black Visions Collective
• Black Disability Coalition
• The Marshall Project
• Campaign Zero
• Advancement Project
* IMPORTANT PLACES *
• BLM FUND
• BLM LA FUND
• SMALL BUSINESSES REBUILD
• BAY AREA BLACK BUSINESSES FUND
• LOVELAND THERAPY FUND
• BLACK TRANS WOMEN FUND
• NATIONAL POLICE ACCOUNTABILITY PROJECT
• CHANGE THE NYPD
• LAKE STREET CLEANUP
• UNTIL FREEDOM
• REBUILD NATIVE AMERICAN YOUTH CENTER
• REBUILD VIETNAMESE RESTAURANT FUND
• CAMBODIA TOWN RELIEF FUND
• REBUILD JOY’S BEAUTY SALON FUND
• LOCAL RICHMOND BUSINESSES (VA)
• FORDHAM CLEANUP FUND
• REDISTRIBUTION TO BLACK CENTERED GROUPS
* USEFUL RESOURCES *
• HOW TO DONATE WITH NO MONEY
• SUPPORT SYBRINA FULTON, TRAYVON MARTIN’S MOTHER WHO IS RUNNING FOR OFFICE IN FLORIDA
• SUPPORT LUCY MCBETH FOR RE-ELECTION HER SON JORDAN DAVIS WAS MURDERED AT 17 BY A RACIST
• DONATE TO END PERIOD POVERTY
“PLEASE, I CAN’T BREATHE. MY STOMACH HURTS. MY NECK HURTS. EVERYTHING HURTS. THEY’RE GOING TO KILL ME.”
– George Floyds last words.